We Remain Accessible, Even After You Select Your Coverage
At The Jemez Agency, we do more than help you compare quotes from multiple car insurance, homeowners insurance and business insurance providers. Even after you have secured a policy, we remain available to help you deal with any issues relating to your coverage, and can offer helpful advice on the proper methods of filing an accident claim in the unfortunate event of a collision.
The Steps You Take Immediately After a Car Accident Can Impact Your Claim
If you are in a car accident or suffer a loss covered under your auto policy, it is important that you take the following steps before filing your accident claim:
- Stop at the scene immediately: Even in the event of a minor fender bender, New Mexico state law requires all drivers involved in an accident to stop immediately and remain at the scene of the collision.
- Secure the scene: Take all necessary safety precautions to ensure that no other injury occurs: light road flares, post safety signals and turn on hazard flashers to avoid further accidents.
- Notify the authorities: Regardless of the magnitude of the accident, call the police and file an official report. Even if the accident is minor, your insurance company may require a copy of the report, and will certainly wish to see the opinion of a law enforcement official regarding the cause of the collision or loss.
- Verify all information: Obtain the other driver’s information, including insurance provider and policy number, driver’s license number and license plate number. Verify that all information is current and correct.
- Report the accident: You may report your accident by calling our office between 8:30 and 5 Monday through Friday. Please call our state-wide number 888-280-4317 or 505-662-5181 for our Los Alamos office or 505-424-8049 for our Santa Fe office. You may also visit our policy management page to call your insurance provider directly.
Contact our New Mexico insurance agency if you need assistance completing an accident claim or have questions regarding the claims filing process.