Your Labor Day weekend can be fun and safe at the same time. It’s normally a fun-filled weekend because it’s one of the last chances to be in the water, grill out, and enjoy the weather before the season change. While no particular Labor Day activity is unsafe, the combination of festivals, travel, boating, swimming, food, and alcohol requires us to be extra conscious about safety.
Here are some helpful tips to ensure your holiday adventures are as safe as possible.
If you’ll be traveling, traffic will be heavier than normal. When driving, follow these tips:
- Don’t drink and drive! Designate a driver, please.
- Watch for motorcycles!
- Follow the speed limit.
- Eliminate distracting driving, like texting on cellphones.
- Remain alert and drive defensively.
If you’ll be on the water, there will be lots of boaters and swimmers. On the water, remember to:
- Know weather conditions before/throughout the day.
- Have a swim buddy in all areas.
- Constantly supervise children in or near the water.
- Have young children and inexperienced swimmers wear life jackets.
If you’ll be cooking out, be mindful of the dangers. When grilling, be sure to:
- Keep the grill away from anything that could catch fire, like the house or tree branches.
- Keep children and pets away from the grill.
- Do not use charcoal starter or lighter fluid once coals have already ignited.
- Keep your grill clean.
From all of us at The Jemez Insurance Agency, we hope you have a happy and safe Labor day weekend.